One of the great joys of preparing to go to Africa has been the reconnecting we have done with many friends and family. Add to that all the interesting and devoted Christ followers we have met through church speaking engagements.
This past Sunday we were in my parents church speaking and sharing about Africa. After the service I had an extraordinary conversation with a woman. It opened my eyes again to the extraordinary sacrifices people make for the sake of Christ.
Standing silently by the coat rack in the back foyer of the church was a middle-aged Hutterite woman. She was clothed in the colors of her colony wearing handmade clothes and the well-known black and white dotted hankerchief covering over her head. My dad had mentioned that this woman attended the church and that if I had an opportunity to speak with her I should take it up. So, I approached this lady and began a conversation. If you know much about Hutterites you will understand not many of them step through the doors of an evangelical church. They take care of their own religious services on their colonies. This woman had been converted to Christ as her Savior and had Christian friends who brought her to church. She explained to me that she was currently excommunicated from her colony. This was a difficult circumstance because she still lived at the colony. She explained to me just a few of the things she was experiencing in this situation. No one on her colony will speak to her as she walks around their community people simply turn aside. They will not look at or speak to her. If she has to go to the doctor in town they will not take her in. She is most definitely suffering for her faith in Christ. Yet, she did not tell me these things to make me feel sorry for her. A joy permeated this woman like few I have met. With a content smile filled with joy that only God can give she explained to me the pain she feels for her people. She explained to me that in their trying to punish her they are actually punishing themselves. She continued by sharing how she prays for them, forgives them, and wants them to have the hope she has in Jesus.
I couldn't help but wonder why does this woman stay on the colony? I know of others who have left over differences with leadership. She explained to me she was staying for her husband. She isn't leaving till he comes to know the Lord. With her biggest smile yet she told me all her children have come to know the Lord, now she is just waiting for her husband.
She told me she wished she could do something like we are doing in Africa. I told her she already was. What could be more important than bringing the light of Jesus to a community that does not know Him?
This is one of the many 'hidden' stories that happen all around us. So many faithful men and women living out their calling and serving Christ on mission at great personal sacrifice wherever they are.
These are humbling encounters and I am thankful to God for them.
No comments:
Post a Comment