Please Enter Password

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Huggable Jon

Yesterday, we went into town and were on a "relational scavenger hunt." We had to find certain things but the point of it was meeting people. So, we discovered things in the grocery store you would never find in Canada. Things like charcoal irons and cookers! Barb wire! All kinds of interesting things.

We went to the local butchery and chatted with the butcher. I asked him about the different cuts of meat he had. He said we have "cow." We chatted with a few other people all of them were so happy we were in Kenya. Many mentioned the drought in Kenya and wanted to know how Canada could help.

At the end of our time we met Matthew on the street corner. Matthew unfortunately was under the influence. He was in a very huggy mood. Throughout our conversation I was repetitively hugged by Matthew. And if you have seen the Seinfeld about a close talker that is what Matthew was! We had a very interesting chat on the street corner for 15 minutes about everything. At one point he grabbed me by both my shoulders right up in my face and said did Jesus have eyes like you. I said what do you mean "blue?" I thought it was funny he didn't get it. Anyway, I told him Jesus was fully man and that wasn't the answer he was looking for either. Then I said he was also fully God and he jumped up and down thrilled at the answer! Then at another point he stumbled into a tent that was right beside us and a Kenyan woman came out and told him off which was rather comical. Then, we got into it again and he said you know what today is for me. It is like this and he pointed to the horizon. I didn't understand. He said it was like the "last day" for him. He was meaning like some eschatological event! Really he was just trying to say he was honored to have met. He wanted to take us home and introduce us to the family. But, after another few hugs and handshakes I told Matthew we needed to go.

Then we went and found a matatu to ride back to Scott Theological College. We crammed into the back seat. Kind of reminded us of the Amazing Race because as soon as we got in he drove to the gas station. And we sat in the back seat crammed in waiting for the driver to put a few liters of gas in. Finally, we were off to Scott bouncing down the road over all the random speed bumps in the road.

1 comment:

  1. Canada has pledged 50 M in new funds to the famine relief effort. As well CIDA is matching individual donations dollar for dollar! Way to go Canada!
    Great blog! Tx your time at Scott must be coming to a close soon! We are just back in Canada. We went from Manitoba to L.A. California To Mississauga! Great trip!

    ReplyDelete