This morning began as normal of a Sunday morning for us here. We had breakfast. We got ready for church. Amie led the kids through a children's bible study we have been working on with them Sunday mornings. Then we made our way out our door through our courtyard and out of our gate. Then things got interesting. It is always an adventure negotiating prices with Tuk Tuk driver (like the one time I was about to jump out of a Tuk Tuk in downtown Mombasa while it was driving because they guy wouldn't agree on a fair price) but this morning it was different. We were met by a friendly face that stopped at the end of our lane. I was beginning to lean in slightly to negotiate the price when...BANG. The Tuk Tuk was flying recklessly forward inches from my face and inches away from driving over Grace. I reacted by throwing Grace back 2 steps and then trying to figure out what just happened. Then I looked right and saw the Matatu stopped dead in the street glass all over the road from ramming into the back end of the Tuk Tuk we were seconds away from getting into. A crowd quickly gathered as we stood there stunned.
Praise the Lord we were alright and that we had not begun piling in because it is quite a process to get us 5 into the back seat of one of those things and we would have gone flying all over the place. Our day guard came out of the gate as the crowd gathered I was unsure on how to handle the situation. I asked him if we were required to stick around. Everyone was alright and there were no injuries. We have heard situations like this can become volatile. He said it was fine and we should go. Another Tuk Tuk driver drove up the guy that just had been rear ended helped us get in the other Tuk Tuk. We were off to church rattled by the morning. Thankful to be OK after something that could have been a lot worse. I spoke with our guard afterwards and he said it took awhile but both parties involved in the accident worked out a deal that they were comfortable with and they settled it there. It was obviously the Matatu's fault for the accident as he had just come over a speed bump hadn't slowed down and was not watching where he was driving and drove right into the back of the Tuk Tuk.
So, thankyou all for your continued prayers we are in constant need of them.
Thank God for his protection and everyone was kept safe from harm! Thanks for sharing the story Jon.
ReplyDelete