Please Enter Password

Thursday, January 19, 2012

2012


I sit here amazed we have been here now six months, half a year. We just were able to have supper tonight with some friends who live in Nairobi and realized I had not seen some of them since we arrived here half a year ago. We did Africa Based Orientation with them and so even though it has been 6 months it was like picking up with old friends. We had a great time together sharing pizza, chai, and good conversation at one of our fellow ABO'ers homes' here in Nairobi. The kids enjoyed seeing children they recognized too and just hanging out with them.

It is amazing to think how much has transpired over these past few months. We live in a new world and although I would not call it home yet, it is beginning to feel more like home. The heat of Mombasa is becoming normal. I can tell that now because when we got off the night bus from Mombasa to Nairobi 2 days ago at 5:30 am. I was freezing cold! It was probably 15 degrees outside. I know all of you out there who are experiencing the -40's right now are laughing and well I was laughing too that this now has become our normal. I can actually understand why the Kenyans wear toques around at night here in Nairobi! When we got off the plane 6 months ago I just laughed at the silliness. Six months later it doesn't seem that strange. I guess maybe this learning to live and be in a new culture is something like looking at a piece of art. The first time you glance at the art you just see the big picture and parts of it may just seem a bit strange. But, as you study it more and look at it with greater patience and reflection things begin to strike you that would not have impacted you on first glance. Then the art begins to "communicate" something to you. I think it is something like that with culture. First glance it is strange, weird, and different. You automatically think your way is better. Then you study longer, listen, and engage and see the beauty of it. You also begin to recognize what the true rough spots are too. Parts of the culture that don't just grate you but frustrate the average local. In the case of Kenya corruption is one of those things that makes the culture more prickly and rough. Today, my taxi driver was pulled over for no reason and harassed by the authorities for money. Thoughts for me are still building on the issue of corruption here. But, this is something that frustrates Kenyans and foreigner alike.

Sitting here in Nairobi at Mayfield G. House seems like the perfect place to reflect on the months gone by. This is where the journey started for us in July. Arriving late one dark night dropped in a random room by our lonesome's, jetlagged beyond imagination, disoriented, but alive and safe in our room. I was scared stiff to leave the walls of the compound here for days. Now, it is not so intimidating. It's not that the issues outside the walls of this compound have changed but I have changed and grown. Our family has changed and we are still in the process of learning how to live and serve in meaningful ways here.

No comments:

Post a Comment