Awhile back I was feeling inspired or maybe felt more like venting and scratched down some reflective lessons of a first time teacher in a developing country. It's all been a sharp learning curve that I am still continuing to climb...here are a few of the thoughts I put to paper in no particular order.
1. The physical condition of the classroom does not make the learner but it sure does help.
2. A body posture of listening must be embraced by the educator to be successful.
3. I need grace to deal with national administration.
4. Students learning in a second language while the teacher is teaching in his/her first creates interesting challenges. Especially in an honor and shame culture. I have made it clear to my students right at the beginning don't be embarrassed to ask for a translation or a repeat of the phrase because I promise to do the same when I fail to understand you. But, it also creates a unique opportunity to show you want to learn from them too as we randomly stop and discuss words in their language. I have them teach me their language as we go.
5. Contextualized illustrations speak to their hearts.
6. Actions do speak! Care for all the people involved in the learning process, that includes the guy that opens the gate of the school each morning.
7. Engage students in the local community. It is important that we do not become an island to ourselves within the school.
8. Be relentless in using all avenues available to create classroom participation.
9. Be prepared to live only a day ahead/a lesson ahead! The reality is you may only find out the course you are teaching a day or two before the start of the term.
10. Be prepared for inadequate library resources...so find other ways to stay sharp. Also, find ways to share other resources with your students. Videos and print-outs for reading work well.
11. Network with others if possible who have more experience than you teaching in your country.
12. Observe and locate godly effective national leaders learn what you can from them. Shadow them when possible and even take a ministry trip with them.
13. Engage students in balanced interaction...we don't want them aspiring to be westerners, but godly effective ministers in their country who can live simply along with their people.
14. Read and watch the national news when possible. The news is constantly in my students minds although our thoughts may be back home with events in our country whether it is our elections or other issues. Their thoughts are here on things that matter to them. Since we are living here these things need to matter to us too.
15. Finally, if you come with an organization you will find that you have two bosses! One is the national administration and the other is your sending organization. I never expected this but found it exhausting at first to have two different roles.
No comments:
Post a Comment