Please Enter Password

Thursday, October 27, 2011

Some random ideas for those wanting to send something to the Chalmers' Clan.

I think that is the longest blog title I've ever wrote. I, Amie, am the author of today's installment.
So we've had people asking and hinting and wondering about sending stuff to us. So this is not a hint to you, the reader, to send something to us. Instead it is in response to some inquisitive questioning!
First off you may be worried that your long thought over and lovingly packed parcel may not make it to our eager arms. This is a valid concern, but don't let it halt your good intentions. I have some helpful hints, to make your endeavor succeed.
1. If some ambitious Posta employee happens, by chance, to open your package, you do not want their first glimpse to tempt them. Therefore, we suggest putting something not so great on the top. Like a t-shirt (tags removed), or packing peanuts, or a boring book. This way they will be more likely to mistakenly believe your sent treasures are worthless to their ambitious entrepreneurial dreams.
2. By removing all items from store bought packing and also removing all tags, etc... there is a higher likelihood that we will be able to convince the posta employees that your sent treasures are gifts. Thereby avoiding paying the sometimes grossly over priced duty.
3. Also to add in to avoiding the aforesaid overpriced and inflated duty you should label the items inside as educational. If you are having a hard time rationalizing how to make gummy bears educational....I'll use them to reward good behavior. :)
4. Hide valuable little things inside larger not so valuable things. For example. You could take a DS game out of its packaging and put it in a new pair of underwear for Elijah! They would be the best pair of underwear he's ever received. You get the idea.
Okay so here are a few ideas for what would make us smile and cry and remind us of home.
  • Tim Horton's Coffee
  • Handmade things.
  • Jelly beans. there are cheap gross ones here. Chocolate will melt so sadly that may not be a good idea.
  • Books. Picture of books, reading books, colouring books.
  • Good quality clothing for the boys. Clothing takes a beating here. Between the salt water that they are washed in, the sun, and general wear and tear they get pretty beat up. Just no whites please. Rare to find a white piece of clothing here...dirt gets in and stains for good. Good kids clothes are hard to find and expensive here.
  • Maybe you're thinking about kids stuff. Ian loves cars and tractors right now. The match box size. Elijah loves Lego and DS games. Grace enjoys pet shops, polly pockets, and barbies. The kids all love to do crafts so things construction paper are impossible to find here.
  • We like puzzles and games too.
  • Scented candles. Pretty smells are hard to find. Kenyans don't value smell like we do so nice smelling stuff is hard to find.
  • This might sound silly but brands that we know are a part of the 'home' feeling. Going to the store and not recognizing anything reminds you that you are not at home. So things like Tim Horton's, Starbucks, Shreddies, CornFlakes, Quaker Oats, etc...make us think of home.
We can get a lot of stuff here. So, the things I've mentioned are things we generally can't find.
Maybe you would like to bless us but don't want the expense of sending a package? Here are some ideas for you.
  • Gift certificate for Amazon. We have a Kindle and we all read on it. I buy books for the kids and Jon and I on it.
  • iTunes gift certificate. Music is one of the things that makes our home feel like home. We all love to listen to music that reminds us of home.
  • Audible.com books. This would be a great gift certificate for the kids. I've been searching for books for them to listen to as part of their homeschooling and quiet time each day.
I hope this has been helpful. Please, please, please do not see this post as a request of packages. We will not die for lack of packages. A handwritten letter is a beautiful gift. The Canadian stamp will make my day. (Another piece of home and recognize).

Oh and our address is on the latest newsletter we sent out. So, instead of advertising it across the blogoshere I will just let you get it there. If for some reason you do not have the address email or FB me and I will send it your way.

We love you all and miss you so dearly. It bothers me that those words are so overused. I hope you feel the depth of them.
~Amie~

1 comment: