Please Enter Password

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Surprises at School

A couple weeks ago the students returned from their midterm break. I stepped onto campus and saw all the usual faces and thought things were same old same old. Then I walked into my Exodus class only to see my students up and scurrying around the classroom talking in small groups. Paying almost no attention to me. This is very abnormal and I couldn't figure out what was going on. Then I noticed a small slip of paper taped to the podium at the front of the classroom of names of students who had not paid for the term. I felt sick to my stomach as only three students remained and the rest came in took their bibles out of their desks and walked out. It felt so wrong to see them go. I wanted to holler at them stay we shouldn't have to charge to study the Word. But, this was all new to me and I didn't know what to do. So, I watched them leave feeling very helpless. Then I still shocked just sat down with the remaining students in a circle and we prayed for their classmates. After that we just sat there and discussed Exodus.
After, that I went to my Isaiah class not sure how many students to expect. When I got there I only had 4 of the 13 students in class. The rest had not paid. So, again we prayed for their classmates and then instead of going deeper into the course material we just had an open question and answer time. It was good discussion it turned into a discussion of weddings in Canada and Kenya. There are many things different. A major one is the dowry that must be paid. It is shocking to Kenyans that we don't pay a dowry for a woman in Canada! Also, Christian Kenyans traditionally dance down the aisles at weddings. I explained the bride and the bridesmaids walk in very slowly allowing time for people to see them.

Anyway, I went home feeling very disappointed that so many could not afford to be there. But, as a couple days went by and almost all of the students came back! There were a couple still waiting for funds but now they all appear to be in class again. As I have been reflecting on all of this I think it is just the way life works here. Money isn't sent to the students from their churches, families, or supportors for a number of reasons. One reason is there just isn't a lot of money. Another is it is not a pressing need until the school says you can't be in class. (The school still lets them live on campus, go to chapel, and eat in the dining hall just not be in class.) I think it gives students the ability then to phone their communities and say look I am not in class can you please help. Although it was a hard couple of days to go through after talking with some upper class students it sounds pretty standard. He explained after each midterm break things are usually a little crazy around campus for a few days as people try to find the funds to pay their fees.

It's hard to sit still through such circumstances and not give to the students. Except there is too many for us to help all of them. And it is pretty difficult for us just to pick a couple to help and not help others. There is no easy answer to this one. On one side of it they are learning what faith really is and trusting God to do amazing things and seeing His provision. They know who they are depending on and it is God. On the other hand, how can I not help when someone has a real call on their life and legitimately can't pay for school? Also, by stepping in and helping too early is that taking away from the local communities responsibility to this future pastor? Will they now think we don't need to help them cause the 'west' is helping them? Difficult questions. This year I am happy to try and observe and learn. To get to know the students. It's hard here to decipher what is a real need and what is just a want or even opportunism. There is a philosophy of mind here that thinks, 'it doesn't hurt to ask, you never know.' We would appreciate your prayers for us to know how to serve here.

Below are some pics from Pwani. The students are playing volleyball. We went up as a whole family to watch.


No comments:

Post a Comment